Local Time

Historical Sites & Landmarks

Walking up and down the delightful streets you’ll see one of the best remaining examples of the colonial era in the Caribbean.

This two-story Georgian style building was the birthplace of Alexander Hamilton in 1757. Hamilton lived on the island until the age of nine.

Just outside of Charlestown are the ruins of the Hamilton Estate, a sugar plantation until the 1950's owned by the Hamilton family.

The earliest tombstone dates back to 1769 in this small cemetery, established by the Jews who came to Nevis to work in the sugar industry.

Located in the countryside, about 30 minutes from Charlestown, the Eden Brown Estate was originally a sugar plantation, but cotton was grown there until the mid-1900's.

The Botanical Gardens were created on Nevis several years ago by Philadelphia couple Joseph and Martha Murphy, who wanted to create somehere beautiful on the island to preserve flora from throughout the world.

As its names implies, this museum displays artifacts and memorabilia of the life and times of British Naval Admiral, Lord Horatio Nelson, who visited Nevis in the late 18th century.

The remnants of these two estates, located on the island’s east coast, slope out to the sea overlooking Montserrat and Redonda.

Built in 1778, the Bath Hotel was once a playground for the rich and famous who came to Nevis to take in the therapeutic, hot spring baths.

Archaeological work is ongoing at this site. The ruin of the stone Great House constructed in the early 19th century originally was joined to an older wooden house built in the 18th century.

The Nevisian Heritage Village administered by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture, largely depicts the evolution of Nevisian social history through housing.

John Cottle, once the president of Nevis and a planter, built this tiny church in 1824 as a place for his family and his slaves to worship together.

The first Anglican Church in the Caribbean, and the oldest church on Nevis, St. Thomas' was built in 1643.

This parish church was built about 1830 in a typical cruciform plan with gabled roof.