John Cottle, once the president of Nevis and a planter, built this tiny church in 1824 as a place for his family and his slaves to worship together. The ruins are located north of Charlestown, hidden in the woods off the main road, just south of the Newcastle Airport. A small sign on the main road marks the beginning of a dirt track that leads back to the church.
A very lenient slave owner, Cottle created this Anglican Church, which was never consecrated, since it was illegal at the time for slaves to worship. It was also known as a chapel, called St. Mark's of Ease.
Cottle Church is located on part of the 980-acre Round Hill Estate. The structure was severely damaged in a 1974 earthquake and again in 1989 during Hurricane Hugo. The stone building still provides a glimpse into our history.
As a result of these later damages, the plaque which documented the history of the Cottle Church was removed and placed in St. Thomas' Lowland Church making it more accessible to the public. Nevertheless Cottle Church is still a primary tourist attraction. It is presently undergoing restoration to stabilize it to ensure its historical significance for the future.
St. John's Fig Tree Church
This delightful stone church dates back to the 1680's and is known because the historic marriage record of Lord Horatio Nelson and Frances Nisbet is preserved there. In 1886, the register obtained international attention at the Colonial Indian Exhibition in London. It reads as follows:
"1787 March 11th. Horatio Nelson, Esquire.
Captain of His Majesty's Ship the Boreas, to Frances Herbert Nisbet, Widow"
Located about 10 minutes south of Charlestown on the main road, the churchyard contains many tombstones which date back to the 17th century. Placed at the church is a memorial, which was dedicated by Lady Nelson in memory of her parents, Mr. And Mrs. William Wollward.
St. James Windward Church
Built in the late 17th century in the north part of the island, this church is one of three Anglican Churches in the Caribbean to display a black crucifix. Its earliest grave marker dates to 1679. The church has been renovated several times since it was consecrated, but the grave markers within the church have always been carefully preserved.
St. Thomas' Lowland Church
The first Anglican Church in the Caribbean, and the oldest church on Nevis, St. Thomas' was built in 1643. It is located on the main road about three miles north of Charlestown, and was built to serve the town of Jamestown, the island's original capital that disappeared. The church is perched high on a hill overlooking St. Kitts.
The church cemetery has many tombstones bearing names of Nevis' early settlers dating back to 1649. There is also a vault that holds the remains of John Huggins (1763-1821), the founder of Bath Hotel.
St Paul's Anglican Church
This parish church was built about 1830 in a typical cruciform plan with gabled roof. The stained glass windows beside the altar are in memory of Rev. Daniel Gatward Davies, priest from 1812-1825, who converted slaves before the emancipation. He went on to become the Bishop of Antigua. There are solid hurricane shutters and a squat wood bell tower at one end. Next to the church is another stone building, which was the parish school. Inside the walled yard are graves dating to1669.
^ Return to Top